How to choose the right credit card
By BEN WOOLSEY
Reviewed by MARISA FIGAT Updated Aug 18, 2021
We publish unbiased product reviews; our opinions are our own and are not influenced by payment we receive from our advertising partners. Learn more about how we review products and read our advertiser disclosure for how we make money.
Credit cards play an important role in how people make purchases and manage their finances. They are used for everyday purchases as well as big-ticket items. It has become common practice for customers to seek cards with extra benefits that meet lifestyle demands.
The best credit cards can earn rewards, offer protection on your purchases, provide interest-free financing, and other benefits that are valuable to you. When used properly, credit cards can also help build your credit. However, with so many credit cards to choose from, it can be hard to find the right card for your situation.
Best Credit Cards for August 2021: Find the Right Card for You
- Best Overall: Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards
- Overall Runner-Up: Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards
- Best for Travel: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Travel Runner Up: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Best for Cash Back: Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Cash Back Runner Up: Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Best Airline: United℠ Explorer
- Airline Runner-Up: Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
- Best for Hotels: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
- Hotels Runner Up: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
- Best for Balance Transfer: Citi Simplicity®
- Balance Transfer Runner-Up: Citi® Diamond Preferred® Credit Card
- Best Student Credit Card: Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students
- Student Credit Card Runner-Up: Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards for Students
- Best for Business: Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card